Monday, January 21, 2013

What Do I Do? - Pt 2, Steps to Start Your Blog Today



You are here to finally get step-by-step instructions on how to start a blog. I will try to make this as painless and easy as possible; however, if there is anything confusing, please comment below so I can make adjustments to these instructions.

Your first step in getting a blog is determining if you want to own your own domain (incurring a monthly fee) or use a free blogging site. After reading How to Make Money with a Blog, I highly recommend using the free sites to get your feet wet. Here are a few links to get you started:


Once you decide on a site, you will need to sign up for the service. I will walk you through setting up a basic blog through Blogger. I believe most of the sites have instructions, but this will hopefully help you understand the basics here.

In order to start a blog at Blogger, you will need a Gmail account. If you already have an account, simply sign in through the blue box on the right and skip the next step. If you do not have an account, click on the red “SIGN UP” box or click here to sign up.

Insert all required information, choose a Gmail account name and password (don’t forget to make a note of this somewhere so you can access your account). You will have to prove you are not a robot and remember to click on the box to agree to Google’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. When you are finished with inputting all necessary information, click “Next”.

Follow all onscreen instructions to set up your account. Once you have accessed Blogger, you will need to start a blog. You will click on the button for a “New Blog”. You will receive a page that says: “Blogs List > Create a new blog” and requests a Title, an Address, and a Template. Please note in the Address box, you will automatically have “.blogspot.com” added to your address. This will be the location of your blog on the web. Please note that there are a limited number of basic Templates, and although they allow some customization later, you will probably want to find another host or obtain your own domain in the future if you enjoy blogging and want to do more with your blog. This will truly be a basic blog, just like this blog is.

Once you get into your new blog, you will be given the opportunity to write a new blog, to customize the blog and a few other options. Here I will cover how to post to your blog. Unless you know .html code, I recommend that you click on “Compose” on the left. This will give you the opportunity to make a few minor changes to the font and size. I personally prefer to use a word processing program to write so that I can copy and paste the formatting with the text. This affords me a few extra options in the formatting department, although I still have not ventured out too much in the area of formatting.

I’m going to walk you through your first blog post. You can type what I say or whatever you would like if you know what you want to write about. Here are the basic steps of posting in Blogger.

  • Note beside the orange “Post” there is a box with a grayed out “Post title”. Click in the box and type: “My First Post”
  • We will not change any of the formatting for this first post. Click in the big white box at the bottom and type:
  • This is my first post to my own blog. I am so happy to finally be able to post to my own blog. This is exciting, and I certainly hope you will visit often. Have a blessed day!
  • Click “Save” and then “Preview” if you want to make sure you are happy with the look of your post. Make any changes you’d like to make, Save and Preview as often as you need to. When you are happy with the way your blog post appears in the preview, simply click on “Publish” and your blog is now live!

If you want to link to another post, you will need to open another tab in your browser (or another browser if you do not have tabbed browsing) and find the site you want to link to. You can link to my blog by following these steps:

  • Right click on this link to BeginnerBlogging 101. Choose “Open Link in New Tab” (or “Open Link in New Window” if you do not have tabbed browsing).
  • Go to the new link that just opened. Highlight the site name and copy the site address.
  • Go back to your blog post and click on the blue Link button in the formatting bar.
  • This will pull up a box that says “Edit Link”. Click in the box after “Text to display:” and type: “Beginner Blogging 101”. 
  • Under “Link to:”, click in the box, right click and paste the site address to my blog.
  • Click OK and you will see the link as: Beginner Blogging 101
  • If you need to insert an email address, use the same process, but type the person’s name in the Text to display box and click on Email address before typing the address in the URL box.

I hope this has been helpful to get you started. As I stated above, please comment if you have any questions or suggestions to make these instructions more clear. Thanks for reading and I hope you’ll visit often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments or suggestions.